Wednesday, April 26, 2017

My Journey with VP by Sean Albright

My porphyria story is a long and emotional one... I grew up having chest pain, vomiting and skin issues. nobody knew what was going on not even myself. I moved to Melbourne Florida when I was 16 and first heard about porphyria from the TV show House. My doctor's had tested for everything else so when I asked to be tested for porphyria they were fine with it. It came back with a VP diagnosis. I almost passed away due to wrong treatment for it. I now have my porphyria fairly in control and use my experience with porphyria and love of Motorsports to raise awareness for porphyria via racing. I have met some really cool people who have been here for support. a player​ for my local minor league hockey team has convinced me to start playing hockey. I know a few people who have porphyria and play hockey due to it being indoors.   I hope one day that those with porphyria are able to live more enjoyable lives
It took over 17 years for a proper diagnosis. I have received Panhematin at least once a month if not more. The American Porphyria Foundation has saved my life by letting me know the treatment I was getting was actually making me sicker and could kill me, the APF (American Porphyria Foundation) was also very helpful in me being able to find a new doctor who knew about porphyria and the proper treatment. When Sean is feeling well he enjoys raising awareness for the APF by iracing just take a look at his car.
Sean~Thank You for sharing a glimpse of what’s it’s like to go through with VP. 
For more information on Variegate Porphyria please visit porphyriafoundation.org

#NPAW2017

             "Remember...Research is the key to your Cure!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 3. Not Understanding the Difference Between Laziness, Leisure, and Need Prevents Care

3. Not Understanding the Difference Between Laziness, Leisure, and Need Prevents Care No one helps, and everyone tends to be skeptical ab...