Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic Staff
What you can do
- Any symptoms you're experiencing, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for your appointment
- Key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes
- All medications, vitamins or other supplements that you're taking, including dosages
- What's the most likely cause of my symptoms?
- What are other possible causes?
- What kinds of tests do I need? Do I need genetic testing?
- How severe is my condition?
- What's the best course of action?
- What are the alternatives to the primary approach that you're suggesting?
- I have another health condition. How can I best manage these together?
- Are there any dietary restrictions I need to follow?
- What precautions do I need to take when spending time outdoors?
- Do I need to be concerned about taking medications in the future?
- Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
- Should my family members be screened?
- Will I need a medical alert bracelet?
What to expect from your doctor
- When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
- Do any family members have similar symptoms?
"Remember....Research is the key to your cure!"