Symptoms: Do you have a porphyria?
The Acute Porphyrias:
- Abdominal pain: severe, diffuse, usually lasting for hours or longer
- Pain in extremities, back, chest, neck, or head
- Loss or impairment of movement
- Respiratory paralysis
- Behavioral changes, including agitation, confusion, hallucinations, and depression.
- Convulsions, as a result of excessive vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Increased heart rate
The Cutaneous Porphyrias
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Fragile skin
- Changes in skin color
- Increased hair growth
- Teeth discoloration
- Bone fragility or bone loss, due to Vitamin D deficiency